There are many reasons why you should install your replacement panes during the summer when it is warm. First, you will not incur high heating costs because not drafts will get into your home. So, your heating bills won’t be affected. That is especially true if you are installing several windows. The second reason is that the bolt applied on the panes adheres perfectly to the surface when the weather is warm. The rule of thumb is that latex shouldn’t be applied when temperatures are high, usually between 40-80 degrees Fahrenheit. However, if you are using silicone, you can use it when the weather is cold, but you will have to warm it before applying. That way, it will flow evenly on the surface.
However, you should note that though caulk adheres well in warm weather, it may not work well in sweltering weather. For instance, you shouldn’t apply it in temperatures that are more than 80 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. So, don’t schedule the installation of your replacement panes during the hottest days of summer. Check more info here.
During Fall and Winter
- Schedule your contractor to come on a warm day. Consider the type of sealant you intend to use. If it requires you to use them on dry surfaces, make sure that it had not previously rained. If it had, let your glass get dry and go ahead and call your contractor. Make sure the contractor comes during the mid-morning hours, to allow expansion of your materials. Make sure you are also keen on the weather forecast, to allow ample time for drying of the window before it rains.
- Make use of silicon-based caulk instead of acrylic or latex. Silicon-based caulk is more efficient than other caulk when it comes to adherence to weather conditions. It also has excellent waterproofing properties, which help support your replacement windows is their energy efficiency.
- Use sealants that Allow Joint Movement. To know whether a caulk will allow joint movement when the weather change from that when it was applied, consider looking at its movement performance. This performance is usually indicated on the bolt’s label and is measured in percentages. A caulk that measures between plus or minus 25% has a better performance than that with a 12% movement.
During Summer and Winter
This time is the best to install new replacement windows. Nothing much happens during this period in the glass installation sector, as families are always focused on other things. So, you can get a contractor almost immediately and at a relatively low price since they are less in demand. This season is also ideal because you can measure the efficiency of your replacement glass when the weather is still harsh.
Preparation for a Window replacement
- Remove obstacles. Remove the obstacles such as trees and branches around your window to give your contractor a smooth session while installing your glass. It helps in preventing slowing your replacement panes installation process.
- Clean the area. Make sure the area surrounding the window is free of dust or pollen. These elements mix with the caulk when not removed, making it start getting spoilt during summer and spring periods.
- Cover your property. When embarking on a window replacement project, make sure you cover your property with plastic sheeting and drop cloths to ensure you do not damage your property with paint and debris when your contractors are on work.
- Remove glass dressing. Whether you dress your window using drapes, curtains, or blinds, make sure you remove them before window replacement starts. It helps in protecting them from being torn or stained during the process.
- Clear the furniture. Make sure you remove furniture close to the glass being installed and the door that your contractor is using. It helps to avoid time wastage as the contractor tries to figure out where they should step and where not.
- Deactivate the security system. If your panes have sensors, make sure you deactivate them to avoid interfering with their efficiency during the replacement period.
- Keep pets away. If you own pets, contain them in another room to protect them from getting injured.
The three common mistakes you should avoid when changing the windows of your home
Mistake No. 1: Not doing the installation on time
Posing a home renovation is always a problem.
We are looking forward to doing it but at the same time looking forward to it.
We can not be every year of reform and improvement in housing.
If your panes are old, they are not safe, and they do not isolate from noise. Because of them, you lose heating in winter and do not detach from the heat in summer, so it is time to change them. You also save good money on the monthly electricity bill.
But when can you change them?
You can take advantage of any renovation of the floor, such as changing the bathroom or kitchen or moving a partition. Any time is okay if done with another reform.
Mistake No. 2: Choosing the glass only by price
Before deciding to change the panes of your home, you must stop to think about the needs or deficiencies that we want our new PVC or aluminum panes to cover.
It would not be the same to install PVC glass in the coastal area since the weather conditions differ. However, PVC panes need to be isolated from heat and cold, but also have a sunscreen that prevents the sun from heating inside the house.
It would be best if you compare, above all, offers with similar qualities of glass (insulation, termination, glass, etc.) since it is not always the same product in one establishment as in another.
The quality of the product, the treatment of clients, and professionalism are the most important factors to consider when choosing the right agency.
Mistake No. 3: Choosing the window glass incorrectly
Glass is the essential element of the glass to insulate a house thermally.
You are welcome to choose a suitable material for the window profile, such as PVC. Anyways, the professionals choose a type of glass following the needs of your house.
It will be necessary to take into account the orientation of the house, the temperatures of the municipality where you have the home, where the isolated house is located, or in a block of flats or the noises to which our house is subjected, the anti-aggression security, etc.
It is essential to compare the prices of windows with glasses of identical characteristics.
Our recommendation is to use double or triple glazing with a laminated glass of low emissivity that prevents the energy generated inside the house (cold or heat) from escaping outside.
To learn more, check out the Mighty Dog Roofing Greenville team’s ultimate guide to choosing the best windows for your home! The windows in your house are one of the most important elements that contribute to your energy efficiency. When it comes to finding the perfect window, you need a lot more than just a good look.