If you think of Hawaiian marriages like the ones that we see in movies at places like Las Vegas then surely you need to know more! Hawaiian weddings are no joke as you get an authentic marriage certificate which is accepted and is legal in various states of the US. Well, here goes the worry of your Hawaiian wedding not being legal enough. There are, however, certain formalities that you need to get through in order to get a legal Hawaii wedding license. So make sure you do not miss on the important details while planning your destination wedding in Hawaii.
Here we give a step by step list of things to do if you are getting married in Hawaii. Following these is sure to make things easier for you at a new place.
1) Make sure that you are eligible to get a marriage license
In Hawaii, the Marriage Equality Act allows any couple of any gender and/or nationality to get a marriage license. However, there are certain criteria that the couple needs to meet with while getting married in Hawaii.
- The couple applying for a wedding license need to be at least 18 years of age. If they are between 16-17 years old, then they need to get the written consent of their legal guardian. These things go in the Hawaii marriage records, and hence one must not try to dupe when it comes to submitting the documents, which will cover your official age proof, photographs, consent forms, etc.
2) The wedding ceremony
If it is a Hawaii destination wedding, then you must surely check out all the Hawaii wedding venues to find the location that suits your taste. You will require an official to preside over your wedding ceremony for which you will have to make a booking in advance. Also, for old couples, it is possible to choose the performer who will preside over the ceremony and get them married. These are important things that demand prior consideration; make sure you do them well in advance.
3) Wait till you get the license
It takes about 3 weeks for people to get their wedding license. You surely can enjoy that time in your Hawaii wedding resorts; however, if you wish to speed up the process, then you can take help of a marriage license agent. A list of them can be found on the website of the Hawaii department of health. So for getting married in Hawaii, here are the key considerations to take note of:
- An application fee of $65 is to be submitted which can be either online or offline as per one’s convenience.
- The couple who wishes to get married must appear before the marriage license agent along with all the essential documents regarding age, nationality and also other documents involving proof of previously terminated marriage/s if any.
- 30 days waiting period is granted once the license is issued after the approval. There is no point in waiting beyond the said period.
It is fairly very simple to get an authentic wedding done in Hawaii and becomes very easy when people know the procedure to get the same done. You can find yourself a wedding planner that can help you with the process, or you can personally look into all this and see to it that things go as planned. In short, with the right guidance and knowledge, getting married in Hawaii becomes easy. You just need to keep yourself updated.
Hope you have got all that is needed, now it’s time to get the wedding bells ringing!