For a long time, facelift surgery has been the only way to correct problems caused by sagging facial skin. Even skin resurfacing treatments cannot always achieve the desired results.
However, not everyone can have surgery, and several people may be unwilling to go under the knife. For such people, thread lifting is an effective solution. This fast, simple, and non-surgical procedure are more effective than facial rejuvenation treatments and, at the same time, hassle-free and less time-consuming than surgery.
Thread lifting, also referred to as barbed suture lifting, is a process that tightens, uplifts, and sculpts your face and breasts. The technique uses a sterile surgical thread inserted inside your skin and pulled up to make the skin appear firm and elastic. Since the 1990s, thread lifting has gradually evolved and has gained immense popularity in recent years.
Different Thread Life Procedures
The two most renowned processes of thread lifting are called Silhouette Instalift and Nova Threads, both approved by the FDA.
- NovaThreads: NovaThreads are made from sterile surgical thread using a biocompatible PDO material. These threads are designed to be safely reabsorbed by the body. NovaThreads sit on the face for three to six months, after which it starts to dissolve.
- Silhouette Instalift: Like NovaThreads, Silhouette Instalifting is also done using a biocompatible thread designed to get absorbed by the skin. This process focuses on overall skin lift rather than only boosting collagen production.
How Does The Procedure Work?
The PDO thread lifts Melbourne process offered by Elucell works in the following manner:
- Your doctor would thread your skin, allowing the saggy skin to stretch around the forehead, torso, or neck using fine, soluble, and sterile surgical threads.
- The painless and invisible needles grasp your skin to ensure that the thread clasps all the underlying muscles and tissues as it is pulled tight.
- Then the barbed thread is inserted inside your skin, which activates your body’s healing response. The procedure does not injure or damage your skin. However, your body detects foreign material in the skin and boosts collagen production in the treatment area. The collagen fills the gaps in your sagging skin and restores the elasticity of your face.
The Basic Technique
The technique would differ based on the targeted areas on your skin. However, typically the steps involved in thread lifting are as follows:
- You would need to lie down in the procedure room.
- A topical anesthetic and alcohol will be applied to your skin to prep it for the thread lifting process.
- A fine needle or cannula will be used to insert threads underneath your skin. This will take about 30 to 45 minutes.
- After all the threads are inserted, the needles used in the process are removed. You might feel slight pressure or tighten under your skin initially.
- After some minutes, the needles are taken out, the process is complete, and you are free to go home.
- Thread lift recovery takes about 2 to 4 weeks.
Targeted areas for Thread lift are:
- Jawline and lower cheeks
- Under-eye area
Getting Optimum Results From Thread Lift
Since Thread lifting is an effective and low-risk process, it can be easily combined with other non-invasive procedures to get better results. After the skin recovers from threads stitching, it is recommended to combine the process with Ultherapy.
Ultherapy is a safe therapy that utilizes slow ultrasound pulses to heat the connective tissue under the skin to boost collagen production. Collagen helps in wound healing and keeps your skin healthy, strong, and supple. With age, however, our body’s collagen production reduces. Ultherapy can help in this situation.
Additionally, thread lifts do not fix uneven skin tone or blemishes. To fix these issues, you can opt for a skin resurfacing process. In this process, the top dermis layer of the skin is removed to eliminate the blemishes. Soon, a new, youthful layer of skin will grow in its place.
Although thread lifting is a low-risk procedure, there are certain rare side effects that you might experience. These include:
- An allergic reaction to substances used in a thread
- Pain under the skin as a result of the thread becoming too tight
- Visible dimpling or pulling in the areas where the threads are positioned
- Infection on the treatment site
If you notice any signs of infection, contact your doctor as soon as possible.
Symptoms Of Infection
- Green, brown, red, or black discharge at the treatment site
- Swelling that lasts beyond 48 hours
- Continuous headaches
Thread Lift Aftercare
Avoid the following after a thread lift during the recovery period to prevent irritating your skin:
- Sleeping on your stomach or your side
- Wearing makeup and getting facials and face massages
- Drinking alcohol and smoking
- Heavy workouts
- Eating hot foods, taking baths with hot water, and tanning beds
How Long Does A Thread Lift Last?
Patients can enjoy their new look after the PDO thread lift for about 12 – 18 months. A PDO thread lift may even last for up to two years in some cases! To further enhance and prolong your results, the experts recommend using complementary treatments, including injectable dermal fillers, wrinkle relaxers, chemical peels, etc. During your consultation, the doctor will thoroughly discuss and evaluate your specific concerns, discuss thread lift recovery time, and put together a custom-tailored treatment plan to help you achieve your ultimate goals.
Can You Exercise After The Thread Lift?
Following a thread lift, patients can resume most of their daily activities. Still, strenuous physical activity and exercise should be avoided for about one week or until cleared by your provider. Patients should also minimize sun exposure and alcohol intake. Your provider will also provide thread lift aftercare instructions, including avoiding submerging your face in the water and sleeping on your back.
Turn Back The Clock And Look Younger Than Ever With Thread Lift
If you want to turn back the signs of aging and achieve striking, long-lasting results without surgery, a thread lift may be the solution you’ve searched for.