In our information-saturated age, it is very important to respect personal boundaries and to be able to communicate safely. And it doesn’t matter whether you are an introvert or an extrovert: everyone wants a high-quality, easy conversation, where nobody is bound by anything or anyone. And sometimes it’s nice to just chat away as if with a “random travel companion”. This is why video chats were created. Omegle and Chatroulette are the most widely known among them. And what their differences are we will discuss below.
Video chat Omegle
One of the first and most popular free video chats. It was created in March 2009 by an American named Leif K-Brooks and initially attracted visitors because it required neither a registration process nor a webcam. Although, now, if you want, you can share the correspondence history via Facebook or Twitter.
Omegle is multilingual and operates in 104 languages. The effect of surprise is also what is appealing in it: you never know who will turn out in the webchat with you, although the system has the ability to set common interests. In case you don’t like a chat partner, it is possible to randomly select another by clicking on the “Next” button. The service operates quite simply, hence there is no need for a mobile app – a website is enough. The service has the possibility to communicate both by text messages as well as by means of a video-cam. There is a “spy mode”, which means that your question can be answered by a random pair of users, and you can watch their dialogue.
Provision has also been made for monitoring the video chat. However, you can also choose an unmoderated mode.
This video chat was created in November 2009, just 8 months after the creation of Omegle by Andrey Ternovsky – a Russian schoolboy. It is also a type of chat roulette. It lets users register via Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. ChatRoulette lets you communicate both via video broadcasts as well as text chats. Initially, the random chat operated in the same way as Omegle, but later it became necessary for the user to register: accessing it requires a valid email, nickname, and password. You can also specify your age, gender, and interests for a more relevant partner selection.
It is worth mentioning that this webchat was mentioned for the first time by American publications – “Good Morning America”, “The New York Times” and “New York Magazine”. This led to the fact that by the beginning of 2010, the site traffic had reached 1.5 million people per day.
These video chats are not much different from each other. Chatroulette is “burdened” by the necessity to register, the ability of quick access via social networks, and the provision of a timer for moving to the next partner, which can be set by the user. That is, the chat partner can be changed automatically after a certain period of time.
Omegle, on the other hand, is “too random” regarding the selection of a chat-partner, provides utterly irrelevant chats, and at times even an explicit demonstration of indecent behavior by one of the participants.
Alternatives to the well-known video chat roulette
Currently, there are many alternatives to all the well-known video chats, each of which is interesting in its own way. Thus, Tinychat lets youcreate personal thematic chat rooms, where anyone can connect and watch the chat participants as if from “behind the glass”. The room can accommodate up to 12 active participants and an unlimited number of observers. It can be extremely relevant, for example, in a scientific community, where colleagues live in different parts of the world.
- CooMeet video chat functioning differs in the way that the chat engages participants only from the opposite gender. Girls are allowed to write only after passing a preliminary moderation, which reduces the likelihood of indecent behavior and low-quality communication.
- Chatspin is a full-fledged mobile app. Its functionality enables you to use video masks, private chat, country, and gender filters, for a fee, when searching and selecting a chat partner.
- Chat roulette Shagle is distinguished by its well-thought-out functionality and its popularity not only by English speakers but also by Russian speaking users. The video chat provides a filter by gender, as well as allows a participant to send gifts and the ability to return back to the previous chat partner. There is also an advertisement-free mode.
- Chatrandom distinct itself by the possibility of using the high-speed internet connection, an “enlarged photo” mode, etc. Popular with the gay population. At the same time, the policy of the developers and creators of the chat is more than reasonable: people who adhere to traditional values never cross paths with these individuals.
- Emerald provides a group chat mode and a system for matching the interests of users, the ability to share photos and media files, and other features.
From this review, we can see that each of the video chats is interesting in its own way. Their capabilities are more or less the same. And the presence of unusual “tricks” is designed to gain loyalty solely for its audience. For example, the visual user may not like the graphic design of one of the video chats, the audial visitor may not like the sound quality of the other, the kinesthetic will generally pay more attention to the excessive anxiety of his random chat partner, while traffic and ease of use are of more importance to the discrete one.
In any case, to start a conversation, you just need to select a random video chat that you like and click on the “Start” button.
Material Source: https://coomeet.com/chatroulette