Books have always had the ability to makes us escape everyday life and relax while briefly traveling to other worlds and meeting our favorite characters while reading them. However, there are books that you need to read during your lifetime and most of them are in fact, best-selling books. Here are the top 10 best selling novels that you need to read:
10. “The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe” (1950) – C.S. Lewis, 85 million copies sold
This is the best-known book in the series of seven in the Chronicles of Narnia. This book follows four siblings that are on a journey of exploring a new and magical world which was exposed to them through an old wardrobe.
9. “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” (1865) – Lewis Carroll, 100 million copies
This novel is regarded as the best novel for children in the whole history of literature. It has also spawned numerous TV series and movies, and still remains a classic on children’s books shelves.
8. “Dream of the Red Chamber” (1754) – Cao Xueqin, 100 million copies sold
Also called The Story of the Stone, this novel is one of China’s Four Great Classical Novels. The story is about two wealthy families and their ultimate fall from glory, which was intended to depict the downfall of the Qing dynasty.
7. “The Hobbit” (1937) – J.R.R. Tolkien, 100 million copies sold
This short novel has set the stage ready for Tolkien’s later novels, The Lord of The Rings Series. In The Hobbit, or as it is also referred to There and Back Again, we follow the book’s good guy, Bilbo Baggins and we are able to accompany him on various adventures that he has.
6. “And Then There Were None” (1939) – Agatha Christie, 100 million copies sold
According to Utoptens, Agatha basically reinvented the whole mystery genre with her 66 novels and 14 short story collections that also include this book that is number 6 on our list. Over thirty movies and TV series have been created based on her books.
5. “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” (1997) – J.K. Rowling, 120 million copies sold
Rowling is one of the most prolific writers of our time, creating stories about magic and bravery with her amazing series of the famous school of magic Hogwarts. In the first book about the boy who lived, Harry Potter realized that he is not as ordinary as all the people around him.
4. “The Little Prince” (1943) – Antonie de Saint-Exupery, 140 million copies sold
This wonderful and mysterious book is all about the perils of slowly growing old, written by the famed Antoine de Saint-Exupery. It has been translated to more than 300 dialects and languages. It is a classic piece of literature that you need to read. After all, it is quite short and you will need an hour to read it.
3. “The Lord of The Rings” (1954) – J.R.R. Tolkien, 150 million copies sold
One of the best selling series and fantasy novels, this trilogy has mostly grown in popularity since it was released. It also has a boost in popularity with the release of numerous movies, artwork, theater plays, video games, and even fun board games.
2. “A tale of two cities” (1859) – Charles Dickens, 200 million copies sold
There are big chances that you have already read this book, or that you have pretended to read it during your high school classes. Hence, it is not a big surprise that this book has sold so much all over the world since it is practically on the curriculum in most high schools.
1. “Don Quixote” (1612) – Miguel de Cervantes, 500 million copies sold
The most creative and popular novel of all time is evidence of how amazing storytelling has no expiration date. The story is about Hidalgo, who in fact proves that the medieval knight system will never die.
If you did not read some of these books, it is time to go shopping and boost your book collection.