As per the survey being conducted regarding the roles, artifacts, and events that are taking place in Agile, the team came to know that many doubts are going on about the roles of the product owner. Let’s have a piece of detailed information about the product owner and the 6 things you should know about them.
What does one mean by the Product Owner of Agile?
According to Vinsys, the product owner is a key stakeholder of a typical project. The main part of the product owner lies where he has the responsibilities and a vision of what one wishes to build and has to convey that vision to his Agile team.
The product owner is also responsible for the results created by the development team for maximizing the value of the product. To get success as a product owner, he must get the respect for his decisions from the organization.
The decisions of the product owner are mainly seen in the context of project management and the ordering of the product’s backlog. As the product owner is a person, the department team can work from different sets of departments without getting any force.
Roles of Product Owner of Agile
Here, we have described the role of a product owner concerning scrum as you know it is a part of Agile. As per the experts, the main role of the product owner is to ensure the product formed is being valued by the customers and the users and should also benefit the company.
Below we discuss a few roles of the product owner to make sure that they understand the core quality of the products and its collaboration.
As discussed above, the product owner has the responsibility of creating a better vision for himself as well as for the department team. The vision helps the stakeholders to have a clear-cut vision by understanding the outcome of the product.
2. To manage the product backlog
Managing the product backlog is one of the primary and crucial roles of the product owner. The main responsibility of the product owner is to bring the stack of items and prioritize them as per the goal set for the business and global approach.
3. Need Prioritization
To deliver the maximum outcomes, the product owner should know what all items are needed for the prioritization. The items in the backlog would help to achieve the goal and success.
6 things you should know about the product owner of Agile
Concerning the Scrum Team
- If we talk about the product owner of the scrum team, then they are considered as another member of that team.
- But for the obvious things, one should not take anyone for granted because all have their work and role to play in the field of project management.
- The position of the product owner is gained by a single person and there are no rights to share it with multiple people.
- By performing individually, one would help to prioritize the backlog without generating any conflicts.
- The sprint goal is developed if the assigned task is worked together with the department team of Agile.
- The sprint goals are set while sprint planning so that a more defined business objective could be obtained by the product owner.
Thus, this was the point concerning the scrum team.
An artifact is an object of Scrum that belongs to the department team.
- Spring backlog is a part of an artifact that cannot be modified according to project management.
- Artifacts are the owner of the product backlog and cannot represent the management.
- Monitoring and sharing of the product backlog are possible by artifacts.
- One can maintain, create, and order the product backlog with the help of an artifact.
- To get the exact idea of the product backlog, one must collaborate with stakeholders and project managers.
With regards to Events
- For the sprint review, one must summon the stakeholders.
- The starting and ending of the sprint date cannot be changed as it is included in project management.
- You can inspect and create an improvement in the scrum team by attending scrum retrospective.
- If the goal of the product owner is not absolute, the sprint can be canceled. This happens in a very rare case.
Regarding the Product
- The responsibilities of the product owner continue till the completion of the entire cycle of the product.
- Product owners would entail all the investments including conception, development, operation, and maintenance that are to be made in the product by getting involved as an in-charge of the total cost of ownership.
- Feedback should be gained from the market regarding the product after releasing the increments of product.
- Product owner of Agile must be one who has all the knowledge about the progress and the business objectives that would lead to an increase in the product.
- The decision of increasing of product should be made by the product owner.
With regards to general scope
- The product owner must have time to decide the ability of the organization and to influence it to get the better work done by the department team.
- The product owner on some occasions has acquired a higher position that would lead the capacity to influence the organization and can also have complications in the agenda for having little time for project completion.
- Complication between how and what can be cleared because the work of the department team is to perform the task by choosing how to do it and concerning that the work of the product owner is to indicate what to do with the items of the product backlog.
Help of the Scrum team Agile
The sprint review must be provided by the scrum team that can be counted as help for the rest of the team. It includes some of the major points such as:
- Reviewing the current status of the product backlog
- Inspection of product
- Item delivered should comply with DoD
- Inspection should be done with the stakeholders as the market changes the potential use of the product
- Update the backlog of the product.
- Based on the status of the department team, the projections for the probable about the release date can be made.
Agile is a way of life that contains the basic guides of commitments, focus, respect, courage, and frankness that could govern the product owner day by day.