Over the last few decades, people have gone from spending their free time playing board games and card games to playing video games on computers, tablets, and smartphones.
As the accessibility of online gaming continues to increase, more and more people are ditching the classics in favor of these online games.
If you’re an avid online gamer or just curious about how this phenomenon started, these ten facts about online gaming should be right up your alley.
1) The First Video Game Ever
The first video game ever was called Tennis for Two and was created by an American engineer named William Higinbotham in 1958. It simulated a tennis game that could be played on an oscilloscope and an electronic device to display images on TV screens.
The game required two players, each with a separate control panel and their side of the screen. One player would hit the ball over the net, while the other would use their control panel to return it to the other side.
The first video games were also interactive: players didn’t just watch something happen; they had to do something themselves for it to happen.
2) More Female Players are Playing Video Games
- As of December, women made up 48% of the gaming population and 44% of the game-playing population
- Women aged 18-24 are more likely to play mobile games than men in that age range
- Female gamers outnumber male gamers in Japan (59% to 41%) and Korea (57% to 43%)
- One survey found that 68% of female players have purchased something from an online game with real money, while only 59% of male players have done so
- Studies show that females are more likely than males to play games that allow them to build or create things
3) It’s Simple to Become Addicted
Gaming addiction is a real issue and one that many people are unfamiliar with. The first thing you need to know is the signs of gaming addiction:
- The person will have increased tolerance for the game, meaning they need more time on it to get their fix or play it for extended periods.
- There will be withdrawal symptoms when they stop playing, such as irritability and anger or feelings of depression and anxiety when not playing.
- You may notice a change in their appearance-like, like weight loss or weight gain, due to a lack of nutrition from sitting too much during gameplay.
4) 68% of Smart Device Owners Play Online Games
Online games provide an easy and convenient way for people to have fun, stay connected, and even make new friends. But that’s not all they’re suitable for! Here are 10 of the most interesting facts about online games:
- 68% of Smart Device Owners Play Online Games
- The Average Amount of Time People Spend Playing Online Games is 5 Hours Per Week
- The Age Group with the Most Gamers is Between the Ages of 18-29
5) Grand Theft Auto V – Most Expensive Game
Grand Theft Auto V is the most expensive video game title ever, with a development cost of $137 million and an additional $128 million spent on marketing.
The game also generated more revenue than any other media title in history, with $1 billion in sales in just three days, breaking the previous record held by Call of Duty: Black Ops II.
GTA 5 is also a financial success due to its impressive attention to detail, from modeling human hair and clothing to capturing real-world military weaponry.
The money made from GTA 5 doesn’t just go into developer Rockstar’s pockets, though; in 2013, it was estimated that the franchise had generated about £4.6bn for UK companies alone.
6) Video Games Can Help Relieve Pain
A group of researchers from the University of Washington found that video games can help relieve severe pain. They interviewed adults who played video games for more than two hours daily.
They found that people who played video games for more than two hours per day were less likely to use solid medications and relied on them less when needed. This suggests that gaming may be an effective alternative for adults who suffer from chronic pain.
7) Midnight Gaming Got Banned in South Korea
Midnight Gaming is a popular video game that is played on computers. In South Korea, it’s been banned by the government and deemed illegal. The ban came after an 18-year-old gamer was accused of murdering his mother with a kitchen knife while playing Midnight Gaming.
8) Game Character with the Most Outfits
In the game Second Life, users can choose from various avatars. The game has over 3 million user-created avatars, each with its distinctive look. The most popular avatar in Second Life is the Second Life Avatar.
This avatar is fully customizable, and users can change everything about its appearance, including body size, the color of its skin, and facial features. There are also over 400 items that this avatar can wear.
9) Chinese Video Games Market Enjoys Highest Revenue
F2P games generated over $11.2 billion in income in Asia in June 2017, whereas P2P MMOs made over $1.4 billion. Europe was the second-largest income generator for both kinds, while North America ranked third.
Video game sales in China exceeded $27 billion in June 2018. Among pay-to-play (P2P) and free-to-play (F2P) massively multiplayer online (MMO), Asia wins.
10) Biggest Online Gaming Audience of All Time
The biggest online gaming audience of all time is World of Warcraft. It was released in 2004 and currently has over 100 million active subscribers. It is also one of the highest-grossing video games, with a net income exceeding $4 billion. The game is free-to-play, but players can purchase additional content from the game store.
Online games are one of the most popular ways to spend time. Even if someone doesn’t like one type of game, they can find another one they will enjoy. With so many online games, there will surely be something for everyone.
The Dog House online slot machine was developed by Pragmatic Play and is one of the newest ones that BetFury has come out with. It’s designed with a house and dog theme. It offers a variety of online games. They also offer casino games that allow players to have fun while making money.