Reviews and annotations, teaching aids and dissertations, articles, and notes are the main representatives of the scientific style. It is in demand in every university, at high-profile events in the world of science, conferences, and other significant events.
It is used by a few, and many people do not like to work with it at all. The thing is that texts in a scientific style are difficult for perception, processing, and analysis. But they would not exist if they were completely meaningless. And since there is such a need, you need to be able to create them.
Features of the empirical style:
The academic terms are usually used in writing, although they can also be used, for example, at conferences, lectures, while reading scientific reports, etc. It differs and depends mostly on the topic, the author’s choices, and many other factors. For sure, the factual style has its own characteristics that cannot be confused with others. These include:
– Absence of the author. To convey any thoughts and ideas, the plural of the third person will be used. For example, “we have concluded,” “the authors summarize,” and so on. However, in some cases, the scientific style may imply the use of first-person speech. Although, that is not so common.
– Use of characteristic vocabulary. The abundance of field-specific terminology, specific expressions, and other difficult phrases for an ordinary person to understand is natural. But it is precisely thanks to this trait that the texts in the scientific style sound solid, powerful, and authoritative. Important: the use of terms is accompanied by their further interpretation.
– The predominance of long sentences. They tend to be Impersonal, and with an abundance of passive constructions, they can take up an entire paragraph, and this is not a mistake from the point of view of the design of the work.
– Use of clichés. The so-called clericalism, trivial turns of speech, and other clichés are characteristic of the scientific style. Moreover, without these phrases, you would hardly distinguish the scientific from the journalistic style.
– The prevalence of statics in the text. In most cases, when writing any text, the author thinks about its rhythm. Rhythm is the sound of words and sentences in a text.
– Application of introductory words. This is very important and necessary. They create additional static and add weight to the proposals. In copywriting, water is considered a significant drawback: water content is called a set of words and speech turns that do not carry a semantic load. Simply put, these are superfluous constructions. Removing them does not affect the meaning of the text and even makes it easier to read.
In addition to the listed features, it is also worth mentioning the importance of content, standardization, formality, the accuracy of presentation, and the availability of important information.
How to write an academic text:
Regardless of your motives, the principle of creating scientific copywriting is the same: step by step. If, in the context of commercial texts, the authors are more likely to focus on using a living language and a selling message, then when working with a factual article, you need to forget everything that you knew before. It is precisely those features of the text that you have struggled with earlier in your works (passive voice, water content, standard structure) that will be important for your forthcoming work.
From the structure to proofreading for errors/typos, the process of writing a research-based text will be radically different from selling copywriting.
Various copywriting formulas, inverted pyramids, and other clever methods of presenting information demand in selling texts. But there can only be only a sequential structure: introduction, body, and conclusion. It is important to adhere to logic in structuring the article, to make paragraphs interconnected. For example, if you are doing analysis, a conclusion needs to be backed up.
The conclusion is of great importance in the scientific text. If in traditional copywriting it is a way to re-summarize all of the above, then in an academic article, the conclusions are the author’s last opportunity to interest the reader and motivate him to re-read the material again.
Step # 2. Vocabulary and vocabulary
“Accordingly,” “proceeding from,” “therefore,” “remarkable” – these and many other similar expressions put an end to the modern selling text. But they are important and necessary if you write as a scholar. These are common words and phrases that are suitable for connecting your sentences.
In addition to generalized phrases, the fact-based style has a wide range of vocabulary depending on the field of knowledge. For example, medical topics will use expressions characteristic of medicine and jurisprudence – numerous legal terms.
Step # 3. Facts and examples
It is important to use proven facts, analyze material according to current research, and give vivid examples. All the same requirements are relevant for copywriting regardless of style, but the specifics of the fact may differ.
So, in traditional texts, to give the content expertise, it is enough to quote an authoritative person. It is desirable to use more statistics and confirmed facts. If you give examples, they should also be based on other research, and not go over the pages of the text from life as a fable.
It is important to unconditionally follow the requirements of regulatory documents, for example, draw up paragraphs, figures, bibliography, title pages strictly according to the recommendations of the manuals.
Thus, the research-based style is by no means a relic of the past. It is needed and in demand, just much less frequently than selling copywriting. That is why there are significantly fewer authors who are able to write articles skillfully reviews and reports than the masters of info-style. This is neither good nor bad. It’s just a fact.
There are situations in which only an informational text is needed: a minimum of water, more facts, a lively syllable and an active voice of the story. This applies to most modern online stores and companies that dream of building a trusting relationship with clients. In contrast, there are other situations when dry, serious and authoritative materials are needed: for speaking at highly specialized conferences, publishing a methodological manual, defending a dissertation.
If you are faced with the task of writing text in academic style – you need solid preparation. Everything is important here: from using the correct forms of verbs to the rhythm of sentences. Take into account the peculiarities of the structure, written or spoken language, the chosen sub-style – and you will be able to create a worthy copywriting with a taste of science. If you want to learn more about academic writing, check out https://www.bestcustomwriting.com.