A backup of your Windows 10 computer is the best way to protect it against hardware failure, hacks, upgrade issues, etc. If you are not taking backup periodically, there is a high risk of data loss. You can lose important files, precious pictures, and software settings due to any of the above reasons. If you’re using Windows 10, there are a lot of methods you can use to create a backup. You can copy files to external storage, cloud storage portals, or third-party backup solutions. You can use third-party software to automate the backup process that will also reduce data loss. In this article, we have compiled some ways of backing up your Windows 10 PC.
Full System Image Backup on external device
For backing up the entire system data you will need a secondary storage device like a USB drive, memory card, or a disc drive, etc. If you are using a disc drive, then you will have to repartition your primary hard drive to create the storage space needed for the backup. This option is less ideal because if your system’s hard disc fails, the backup gets destroyed. Follow the below steps for backing up the image:
- Press the Windows button on your keyboard, then type “File History” and hit Enter.
- Now click on the “System Image Backup” button in the bottom-left corner.
- In the left-hand pane, select the option labeled “Create a system image.”
- Select the storage location for your system image in the system utility popup.
- Click the ‘next’ button and if everything looks good, click “Start backup”. The backup will be complete in an hour or so.
Ensure that your external device or the disc drive has enough space to take the backup. The entire backup process will take around an hour. Taking backup on drives isn’t recommended due to the risk of hard disk damage.
Online backup services
Online backup is possible because of cloud-based technologies. With the help of cloud-based services like DropBox, SAN, etc., you can directly copy all the files and Windows 10 images to online storage. They also provide a lot of easy restoration options. Follow the below steps for backing up Windows 10:
- Install any Windows 10 image backing up software.
- Connect your Windows PC to the internet and log-in to your account on any of the online storage services that you have taken.
- Run the backup software and select the back option as ‘Cloud storage’.
- Click on “Start Backup” to transfer the Windows 10 image or files to your online storage account.
The online backup services are a good option to backup the data, but you will have limited space assigned to your account. For more space, you will have to take a paid monthly or yearly subscription. Once you have taken backup on cloud storage, then you won’t have to worry about data loss.
System backup with software
An automated way of backing up your entire computer and Windows 10 is by using software like Zinstall Backup. You would need an external storage device for this backup process. Follow the below steps for backing up Windows 10:
- Connect your system to an external USB device or an external hard disk. Ensure that you have twice the storage space that you are planning to backup.
- Download and install Zinstall Backup software.
- When you run this software, it will automatically detect available backup locations. Click the “Settings” button to select the backup location to the one you want.
- Click the big on/off button on the left, and Zinstall Backup will start working. The backup will get completed within an hour.
If you need to disconnect the drive for a while, the software will wait until you reconnect it and then start backing everything up, automatically. All the files, programs, and software will be backed up to your storage device. You can also set a periodic backup option. So, if you change a file, or install a new program, your backup will be updated accordingly within 60 minutes.
The software Zinstall Backup is very efficient in handling the changes made, and even protects the hard drive’s health, by minimizing the number of reads and writes to it. This increases the life of the hard disks. This automated process of backing up the data is easy to use and ensures zero data loss.
Restoring the files archived by Zinstall Backup is even easy. You can follow the below process for file restoration:
- Open your Zinstall Backup’s Restore wizard.
- Type the file name that you want to pull from the backed-up data.
- Once you see the file, click on the restore option and it will be put back in its original location.
If by any chance you are unable to recall the file name, then you can browse through the user-friendly and interactive interface to search for the file that you are looking for. Restoring and backing up is made easy by using software services.
Apple’s Time Machine
If you own a MacBook or an iMac, and you have a Windows 10 installed on that device, then you can use Apple’s time machine option to backup the data. All the system files, apps, music, photos, emails, and documents can be backed up easily. If you accidentally delete or change a file, you can use Time Machine to recover it. Follow the below steps for backing up Windows 10:
- Connect an external hard disk to your Mac.
- Open the Apple menu, click on ‘System Preferences’, and then click ‘Time Machine’ to open Time Machine preferences.
- Select the external drive to back up all the data on your Mac.
Computer crashes or hacks don’t give any warning. Your important files will be gone within an instant. So, you have to be careful while taking backup of your Windows 10 data. Thus, follow any of the above steps to take periodic backups of your important files and documents. We would recommend using software for backing up your Windows 10 data as this process is automated, fast, and fool-proof.