The email management system is designed in a way so that we could more productive at work with the minimum time wastage. However, many people are still not aware of the proper usage of their mailboxes and end up spending a lot of time at the office and lose their productivity and work capacity. The problem is that an email is an ongoing form of communication and we do not have full control over the flow of emails in our inbox. But we can definitely increase our productivity by controlling the way we receive, reply, organize, and manage our email account during the day. Now let’s see how we can do this in the tips below.
- Turn off Notifications: We all understand that notifications can be helpful for making us aware of emails that we receive. However, if we keep it on all day long, it will not serve the original purpose. Instead, you will constantly get distracted from your work by checking notifications and reading incoming emails. So rather than keeping it on the whole day and wasting your time searching for new emails every time a notification comes, it is much better to turn them off. You can choose a time during the day to check new messages as per your convenience. This will definitely increase your speed and productivity at work and you will be relaxed and stress-free.
- Set Up Email Blacklists & Whitelists: Less unwanted emails means less time to sort them and more productivity at work. Therefore, it is important to set up email whitelist which is a safe list of email addresses you know and you communicate with on a daily basis. These emails are important and thus it is absolutely essential that you categorize them in whitelist so that they reach your inbox on time. Other unwanted and junk emails can be added into blacklist so that they are separated automatically and sent to the spam folder. Another great solution to stop getting spam and increase your overall productivity at work is to unsubscribe from emails, newsletters, and marketing promotions you are not interested in. You can do it manually or use an email unsubscribe tool like Clean Email.
- Use Email Plugins: Email plugins are a great way to increase your productivity and save a lot of time at work. Plugins help to speed up your email processing time in several times so that you can send or read your emails faster and spend this time on more important tasks instead. Canned response, undo send, email receipt confirmation are some of the several plugins that are used frequently in order to reduce time and increase productivity at work.
- Limit the Use of Email: Try to limit the use of email during the day unless this is necessary because of your work specifics. Do not try to communicate everything via email and only send and receive the most important information by email that needs to be documented. Do not use emails to communicate with your colleagues when you have an opportunity to talk with your team members face to face. You can also use Skype, Google Hangouts, or even make a phone call to discuss long topics. A long conversation can be finished in a short time via a phone call rather than via email and will definitely increase your productivity at work.
- Sync Your Email With Your Phone: It is always a wise idea to synchronize your email in your smartphone so that you can receive and quickly reply to new coming messages on the go. This will reduce a significant time during work and make you more productive all day long. You will not have to log in to your laptop or computer each time you receive an email and can easily reply from your phone.
To conclude we can say that being productive is not a very difficult task. Use your brain and follow the above-mentioned tips in order to become more effective at work and in life.